How do I create a new fill (hatch) pattern for a floor, ceiling, or wall in Revit?
The “Fill Pattern” command allows you to create or modify fill patterns. From this dialog you can create “drafting” or “model” patterns. When creating patterns, you can choose from 2 options: Basic pattern or custom pattern.
When creating the pattern, you will need to decide if the pattern needs to be a Drafting or Model pattern.
• Drafting Patterns: Are used as cut patterns but can also be used as surface patterns. The density of the pattern adjusts as the view scale adjusts.
• Model Patterns: Are used as surface patterns. The spacing between lines in surface patterns are real world dimensions that do not change as the view scale adjusts. Model patterns can be moved and rotated.
CREATE A NEW FILL PATTERN TYPE
• From the Manage Tab choose Settings Panel > Additional Settings drop-down > Fill Patterns.
• Choose Drafting or model then click the create icon
• Choose Basic or Custom
Basic patterns allow for parallel lines or crosshatch at any angle and distance.
• Custom patterns allow for more complexity. Custom patterns are stored in pattern files with .pat file extension.
o Click “Browse” button to search for and import the desired pattern.
AutoDesk default fill patterns are stored in the revit.pat file located at: %ProgramFiles%\Autodesk\Autodesk Revit 2019\Data
o Choose pattern to import. You can change the import scale of the pattern as well as the pattern name.
TO APPLY A FILL PATTERN
Fill Patterns are NOT used directly. They are embedded into either Filled regions or Materials.
TO APPLY FILL PATTERN TO FILLED REGIONS
• From the Project browser, navigate to Detail Items > Filled Region
o Double click to edit the filled region type or duplicate and modify as desired.
APPLY FILL PATTERN TO A MATERIALS
• From the Manage Tab of the ribbon choose the materials button
• Select the material and adjust the surface and background patterns as desired.
• You can purchase over 600 model fill patterns from myBIMTeam.com. If you need a custom pattern created please contact myBIMTeam.
Download PDF – KB-201231-Fill Patterns for floor or wall